How to Watch the U.S. vs. the Netherlands at the World Cup
The United States successfully navigated the group stage at the World Cup in Qatar with a 1-1 draw with Wales, a scoreless draw with England and a 1-0 win over Iran. The Americans are now playing in the knockout stage and will meet the Netherlands in the round of 16.
When will the United States play the Netherlands?
Saturday at 10 a.m. Eastern time. That’s 6 p.m. in Qatar.
How can I watch in the United States?
The game will be broadcast on Fox (in English) and on Telemundo (in Spanish).
To stream the English-language broadcast, you’ll need a subscription to a streaming package that includes Fox, such as YouTube TV, Hulu, SlingTV or Fubo. (Some offer free trials.) Tubi will stream the game for free, but only as a replay, after the game is over.
Peacock will stream the Spanish-language broadcast. (Peacock Premium is $4.99 a month.)
How will the Americans do?
Betting odds, which factor in how some experts and prognosticators think about a matchup, favor the Netherlands. In Las Vegas parlance, the Netherlands is -215 to advance and the United States is +200. That means you would need to bet $215 to win $100 on the Netherlands and $100 to win $200 on the Americans.
A Brief Guide to the 2022 World Cup
What is the World Cup? The quadrennial event pits the best national soccer teams against each other for the title of world champion. Here’s a primer to the 2022 men’s tournament:
Where is it being held? This year’s host is Qatar, which in 2010 beat the United States and Japan to win the right to hold the tournament. Whether that was an honest competition remains in dispute.
When is it? The tournament opened on Nov. 20, when Qatar played Ecuador. Over the two weeks that follow, four games will be played on most days. The tournament ends with the final on Dec. 18.
Is a winter World Cup normal? No. The World Cup usually takes place in July. But in 2015, FIFA concluded that the summer temperatures in Qatar might have unpleasant consequences and agreed to move the tournament to the relatively bearable months of November and December.
How many teams are competing? Thirty-two. Qatar qualified automatically as the host, and after years of matches, the other 31 teams earned the right to come and play. Meet the teams here.
How does the tournament work? The 32 teams are divided into eight groups of four. In the opening stage, each team plays all the other teams in its group once. The top two finishers in each group advance to the round of 16. After that, the World Cup is a straight knockout tournament.
How can I watch the World Cup in the U.S.? The tournament will be broadcast on Fox and FS1 in English, and on Telemundo in Spanish. You can livestream it on Peacock, or on streaming services that carry Fox and FS1. Here’s how to watch every match.
When will the games take place? Qatar is three hours ahead of London, eight hours ahead of New York and 11 hours ahead of Los Angeles. That means there will be predawn kickoffs on the East Coast of the United States for some games, and midafternoon starts for 10 p.m. games in Qatar.
Got more questions? We’ve got more answers here.
That translates to roughly a 70 percent chance of victory for the Netherlands and a 30 percent chance for the United States, at least according to bettors and bookmakers.
What happens if there is a tie?
Unlike the group stage games, knockout games cannot end in a draw. If the score is tied after the normal 90 minutes, the teams will play 30 minutes more. Should the score still be tied at that point, the teams will take five penalty kicks each. Whichever team converts more of them will advance.
If the U.S. wins, when would it play next?
The U.S.-Netherlands winner will move on to a quarterfinal game on Friday, Dec. 9, against the winner of a Saturday game between Argentina and Australia.
At this stage, the World Cup is now a win-or-go-home tournament, not unlike an N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. Here is the bracket.
Who has scored for the U.S. in the tournament so far?
The United States has just two goals. Tim Weah scored against Wales, assisted by Christian Pulisic. After the 0-0 tie with England, Pulisic scored against Iran, assisted by Sergiño Dest.
How have the Americans done in the past?
This is the 11th World Cup for the U.S. men. The team’s best performance came in the first World Cup in 1930, held in Uruguay, when it made the semifinals. That tournament was missing several top teams from Europe, however. The best recent performance was a quarterfinal berth in 2002. (The U.S. women have won four World Cups, including the inaugural tournament in 1991.)
Who is on the roster?
Here is the squad, with the players’ professional clubs; their number of international appearances, followed by number of international goals; and their hometowns.
Ethan Horvath (Luton Town, England; 8/0; Highlands Ranch, Colo.)
Sean Johnson (New York City F.C.; 10/0; Lilburn, Ga.)
Matt Turner (Arsenal, England; 23/0; Park Ridge, N.J.)
Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic, Scotland; 12/0; Southend-on-Sea, England)
Sergiño Dest (A.C. Milan, Italy; 22/2; Almere, Netherlands)
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 29/3; Oak Hills, Calif.)
Shaq Moore (Nashville S.C.; 17/1; Powder Springs, Ga.)
Tim Ream (Fulham, England; 49/1; St. Louis)
Antonee Robinson (Fulham; 32/2; Liverpool, England)
Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach, Germany; 3/0; Lake Grove, N.Y.)
DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 76/0; Seattle)
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville S.C.; 36/3; Lawrenceville, Ga.)
Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United, England; 27/6; Medford, N.J.)
Kellyn Acosta (Los Angeles F.C.; 55/2; Plano, Texas)
Tyler Adams (Leeds United; 35/1; Wappingers Falls, N.Y.)
Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo, Spain; 12/0; San Diego)
Weston McKennie (Juventus, Italy; 40/9; Little Elm, Texas)
Yunus Musah (Valencia, Spain; 22/0; London)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 32/0; Pico Rivera, Calif.)
Jesús Ferreira (F.C. Dallas; 15/7; McKinney, Texas)
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 50/11; Mercer Island, Wash.)
Christian Pulisic (Chelsea, England; 55/22; Hershey, Pa.)
Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund, Germany; 15/4; Bedford, N.Y.)
Josh Sargent (Norwich City, England; 23/5; O’Fallon, Mo.)
Tim Weah (Lille, France; 28/4; Rosedale, Queens, N.Y.)
Haji Wright (Antalyaspor, Turkey; 6/1; Los Angeles)